French flavours are in the air this fortnight with Gout De France (Good France Day) and the World Macaron Day!
Did you know that the ‘Gastronomic Meal of the French’ is on the UNESCO Intangible Heritage List?
And well it should be, because French Gastronomy is the source of many culinary traditions, practices, terms and dining etiquettes. Think of that the next time you sit down to a meal that showcases a terrine, bisque, foie gras, mille-feuille, macaron, croque monsieur, bouillabaisse, escargot or profiteroles!
We are incredibly announce that many of these classic dishes are now being showcased over India on Tuesday, 21st March 2017 as part of the global celebration of ‘Goût de France’. Translating to Good France, this is a global celebration of French cuisine conceptualized by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development under the aegis of celebrated chef Alain Ducasse three years ago.
Celebrated annually on the 21st March, with the aim of expanding the knowledge and patronage of French cuisine globally, it has grown in stature, year on year. This year there are more than 2000 chefs across 5 continents participating in what is possibly the biggest celebration of a cuisine! India is represented by 65 chefs and restaurants that will showcase the best of French cuisine and wine. In Mumbai, we are particularly excited by what the following restaurants are planning to celebrate Goût de France.
• Botticino at Trident BKC has planned a most tempting meal of Beetroot Tartare, Beetroot Macarons, Wild Mushroom and Artichoke Crepes, pan-seared Scallops with grilled Prawns and much more.
• The Sassy Spoon has a menu that showcases an amuse bouche of baked Figs with Blue Cheese, Profiteroles with Salted Caramel and a Vanilla Hazelnut Feuilletine Ice cream, gratinated baby Squid stuffed with homemade Chicken Sausage and Swiss Chard.
• Sea Lounge, Taj Mahal Palace has an uber chic menu that will take your breath away. Expect to be served stuffed Tiger Prawn Creole, Snow Crab with spiced Saffron Velouté, Camembert Dariole, Pistachio crusted Lamb, Truffle Dauphinoise and much more.
• Olive bar and kitchen has a menu that includes a fantastic cheese course, sous vide and roast Chicken, aerated Soufflé Cheesecake and more.
• Fenix at The Oberoi, Mumbai is showcasing a menu of escargots a’ la bourguignonne, butter poached Asparagus with black Truffles and herb-crusted Lamb chops.
For more details look at the complete list of cafes, bistros and fine dining restaurants that are participating at the official Good France website, where details of their chefs as well as the menu. Reservations at these eateries can be made via the Zomato platform as well.
But that is not all!
Savouring a fine French meal on Tuesday, 21st March 2017 can win you a trip to France! The French Embassy in India in collaboration with Atout France – France Tourism Development Agency in India, Air France and Relais & Châteaux have come together with a special plan to make the celebrations even more memorable.
Participate in their special selfie contest and you could win a dream holiday to the French Riviera! Participation is easy; simply make reservations for dinner at any of the participating restaurants on 21st March, click a selfie with the Gout de/ Good France menu you have chosen and post it on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #GoodFrance.
To add to the joie de vivre, today is World Macaron Day; a day set aside to revel in the delights of the French macaron, a delicate sandwich of buttercream, ganache of flavoured filling between colourful meringue-almond flour discs.
Each year on 20th March, La Folie celebrates this day with gusto putting out new and unusual flavours of macarons. This year, our chief foodie Rushina M. Ghildiyal has collaborated with Chef Sanjana Patel to curate a box of 6 awesome flavours: Mirchi Kairi, Jeera Chaach, Kadipatta Tadka, Methi Chonka, Haldi Doodh, Badiya Santra and Masala Maggi.
These macarons are available at the La Folie Lab in Bandra and La Folie Patisserie, Kala Ghoda only on Monday, 20th and Tuesday, 21st March!
So, dont forget to grab a box on any of these days and indulge.